"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

God's Faces

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Now faith is…


the assurance of things hoped for the conviction of things not seen. He 11:1

James is like many orphaned Kenyans who lost his parents and one brother to curable diseases. As the oldest child James put the weight of the family on his shoulders and has carried it faithfully for many years. He has not carried it alone. God has heard his prayers and provided one job after another to help James work his way through college. Trained as a teacher, James loves helping children learn. After working all week teaching school, he volunteers his weekend time to serve in a local orphanage.

Here are a few comments from James in a recent letter;

"Thanks alot for being a good friend to me. I appreciate so much that
you are ready to pray with me especially a time like this. Sometimes
life takes different directions not expected. The impact of this is so
great and sometimes we feel lonely. God will never leave His people
even in times of hardship. I'm glad I have a Bible in my house to
remind me that."

"I think going back to the upcountry will make my life even hard!! I
provide the entire family with everything from the money I earn. If I
leave and go, it means I will need to get another source of income
there in the upcountry. The only option to do that is to work in the
farm till the crops are ready to harvest. There is only one season
there. Farmers plant at the beginning of the year and harvest during
the last two months of the year. Life will be difficult. I have
decided not to go but look another job elsewhere."

Today James is a young man with a vision. He believes he can make a difference in the lives of orphans and is praying about running a school for orphans someday. I am honored when James introduces me as his best friend. James and I meet to talk and pray as we take faith steps to care for orphans

….together.

No comments: