"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

God's Faces

Friday, June 20, 2008

WHAT IF...

I woke up before the rooster began to crow today, as I have for many days now. Falling in bed exhausted at midnight, I awake startled by fresh enthusiasm at 4.30 am. The "what ifs" make my heart pump! What if God would move now to meet needs of Dennis? What if my M.D. friends could help Dennis, a 10yr old boy I visited with in Kisumu. Dennis would have hope and many would gain courage to press on.

What if a wind of hope blew through the desperate Okundi village causing all to sing and dance. A thriving garden harvested by the hands of all villagers and their neighbors, might result in such a celebration. All they need is water! Pray that my friends at Planting Faith ministry might help.

What if "kinship care" came to the Okundi village? Those caring for orphans would receive assistance. Widow Leu would have help with her starving grandchildren Benta, Evance and Sinthia. And many other hungry children would pay attention in school and have courage to trust a good God.

What if God wants to use us to be a part of bringing hope and life to this village.

June 16
DENNIS

Something about the young boy touched my heart when we first met. A handsome boy with pain in his eyes. The house was full of family and friends all laughing, enjoying the meal prepared for us, the guests. The boy was introduced as Dennis. His eyes were sad, movements tentative. He was not feeling well today. Again, I ignored the world I was in and responded as if I were in the States. "Sorry you're not feeling well. Is it a stomach ache? A cough? You'll be ok soon," I foolishly assured.

A week later, I returned to the same home to learn more about the lives of this family. With my video camera in hand, I interviewed the grandmother and discovered she has raised many children, not all related to her. Currently she is a "grandmother" to four boys in their 20's except the youngest at 10 yrs. Each story included more than one relative dying of illnesses. The loss of life was so common there were few expressions when sharing about them. Then we came to the youngest, Dennis. When I asked the grandmother to share about Dennis, she became quiet. Slowly she struggled to tell me of her brother-in-law's death of AIDS. Her sister had not been tested before she had Dennis. Soon after Dennis' birth, she died. Dennis was left with his aunt Margaret...and with AIDS. His case is advanced. His cough will not go away soon, nor will his stomach ache diminish. I stuffed my emotions and asked Dennis a few peppy quesions about sports and school. Then I asked if there was anything he would like to tell me. He paused, looked tentatively at his aunt, then shyly asked, "after my exams I would like to have a bicycle."
The room was quiet, very quiet.

June 16
WIDOWS UP CLOSE

Returned to Kisumu for two more days. Compelled to get a closer look at the lives of widows and orphans. As I arrived at the Okundi Village, I was welcomed by a house gathering. Customs are to greet the guest, pray and serve food. After a brief visit over chai and bread, I met with two widows. They agreed to let me film our talk and film a visit to the house where they dwell. They offered brief responses to my general questions.


The story they each told was in their eyes, deep, dark, sad eyes that have shed many tears. Each has lost family to sudden illness. These ladies are the most desperate in the small village as they have no kin to help care for them and remaining grandchildren. One widow lives alone, I gave her a thousand shillings. Widow Leah cares for three grandchildren. Their eyes reveal shock, fear, anger. Their bodies are thin, very thin. I gave her four thousand shillings. My heart pounded as I left each small hut. I wish I could do more. I MUST do more.

No comments: