"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

God's Faces

Saturday, September 22, 2007

MY HEROES

Dr. Amy Luedemann and Barbara Johnston

Meet Dr. Amy Luedemann and Barbara Johnston, my heroes. Amy is a pediatric dentist and with Barbara's help these ladies set up a dental clinic in our village and offered dental services for our Rafiki children, teachers and national staff. They did a fantastic job. Their cottage was right next to mine which made it easy for me to deliver children and check on progress. I was amazed at how they graciously served all who came. Most were anxious or even terrified to be seen by a dentist. Kenyans don't have access to dental care and as a result advanced decay and brown teeth are common. I witnessed dramatic results as Barbara and Amy worked together to turn brown teeth white again!! I hope I don't forget one of our ladies reaction after her appointment with the dental team. She was smiling and laughing with a group of ladies around her. When I joined them, she told me she used to never smile or laugh before, because her teeth were so embarassing. She was now enjoying the new freedom to smile !!! Our teenagers whose teeth were in bad shape are smiling big smiles.
I took my Primary 3 students for their dentist visit. They learned proper toothbrushing with the Puppet named Chompers. I realized how these children have become like my own, as I watched over them them at our dentist visit.
These ladies cleaned teeth, filled cavities and pulled even wisdom teeth ( the biggest teeth I've ever seen}. Hooray for these two courageous ladies who on their own came and willingly gave their time and talents to help others. Barbara has returned home. Amy is packing her dental instruments to travel to Uganda tomorrow. She will be offering her services at the Rafiki village there. She has already served in Malawi and Nigeria.

My students watching the first classmate from the door. They were a bit nervous about what was going to happen.


Everyone present was called in to view this students tongue. Amy showed us his tongue that only few in the world have. On the surface of his tongue are shapes that move around. REALLY!!!!


More of Barbara and a student. The procedure is to have patients lie on a mattress and receive dental work. Thanks Barbara for working tirelessly for days......



This is Amy with one of my students. She had never been to the dentist before. Amy relieved her fears and did a lot of dental work for her.

All our students did the pink dye test. Amy painted this pink dye on their teeth. They brush and the dye that remains shows them where they are not brushing. We had a lot of pink teeth. There is much room for improvement here.


Here is Amy with Chompers the frog to demonstrate proper toothbrushing techniques. Every child got a new toothbrush. We hope their toothbrushing will improve.

One of my students getting an upclose look at his teeth. Mirrors aren't as common here as in the States.


I asked her why is she in Africa, when she could be in the US where life is alot easier and alot more lucrative.


She told me, "my heart goes out to serve those who have so little. There are only 60-80 dentists in all of Kenya. Most have no opportunities to receive good dental care and the needs are tremendous. It is most rewarding to show the love of Christ through providing dental care and God's touch to the people here." I was there one day and Amy asked me if I remembered the scene from "Chariots of Fire ' when Eric Little told others that he felt the pleasure of God when he was running? She said "today, as I am taking care of the people here, I too feel the pleasure of God" . There is nothing better..........

2 comments:

Shannon Pate said...

That report made me cry!!! What precious people!! I am looking forward to meeting these poeple in heaven someday. Maybe they will let me come visit their mansion!!! You are precious to us!! Love, Shannon

RafikiIndianaJoe said...

Joe Baucom, Rafiki Area Rep said: Amy & Barbara are two incredible ladies who have brought not only incredible help to the Rafiki children of Malawi, Kenya and Uganda but have given tremendous joy to me, having had just a tiny tiny part in their dental mission this summer. I love you my sisters in Jesus name....and continually praise the Lord for you all this time. Joe